GF Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake
I love foods with a Tex Mex or Southwest kick. I guess it’s the Texan in me. My husband isn’t big on that type of food, so I don’t make it often. He’d much prefer to eat Egyptian food each and every day, although he enjoys the occasional fajita or burger.
So, when he’s not at home for dinner, I like to make things I know he won’t eat. Things like this chicken and rice casserole. This recipe was inspired by GlutenFreely’s Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole. I didn’t have enchilada soup or Monterey Jack cheese, so I improvised a bit. I love how it turned out! It’s so easy and flavorful. You can get creative with it, too. Don’t feel you have to make it just like this. If you like it hotter, add more salsa. If you like more tomatoes, try adding a can of organic diced tomatoes. You know what would be great on this? Sour cream or guacamole.
Easy Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breast tenderloins (or cut 1 lb of breast meat into strips)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 cups cooked or frozen corn (I used frozen organic)
- 2 cups canned organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa (I used Muir Glen)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste. Mix garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika and rub it over chicken.
- Place chicken in the skillet and cook until browned. Add 3/4 cup water and bring to the boil. Cover and lower heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix rice, beans, and corn in a baking dish. Add salsa and 1/2 cup of the cheese, stirring until well blended.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place it on top of the rice mixture. Take 1/2 cup of the water used to cook the chicken and pour it over the rice. (If you have less than 1/2 cup cooking liquid left, add water to make 1/2 cup.)
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the chicken. Cover pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with additional salsa, sour cream, and guacamole if desired.