I don’t know about you, but when I miss a few nights of sleep, it takes me several days to “catch up” and feel human again. Is that a sign of impending old age? Don’t answer that!
So, once again, I didn’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen. I didn’t want to serve my family frozen meals again, though, so I did the next easiest thing: I broke out my gluten free pasta, a jar of spaghetti sauce, and some mozzarella cheese. That’s right, I made dinner with only three ingredients!
While it wasn’t exactly gourmet and probably not the healthiest thing I’ve ever made, it was quick, easy, tasty, and filling. My kids definitely liked it. Behold: easy baked penne. Gluten free, of course.
Easy Gluten Free Baked Penne
- 1 pound gluten free penne pasta (I used Pasta d’oro Penne rigate)
- 1 26 oz jar gluten free spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu Old World Style with Meat)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella (if you use pre-shredded, make sure it doesn’t contain wheat as an anti-clumping agent. I used Kraft.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Pour in pasta and spaghetti sauce. Mix well.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
This is a very versatile recipe. You can jazz it up by adding just about anything! It’s also a great way to use up leftovers. Here are some possibilities:
- Ground beef, browned
- Sliced chicken breast, cooked
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Peas and carrots
- Cheddar cheese, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, or any other cheese you like
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Onions, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Leftover steak
- Leftover taco meat
- Leftover fajita meat
- Spices of your choosing
- Roasted eggplant
- Bell peppers
Just serve with salad, and you’re done. What’s your favorite quick and easy gluten free meal?