When I'm feeling really ambitious, I make up several different kinds of meat and multiple dips in addition to the usual taco meat and veggies. The spices listed in this recipe work just as well for chicken breasts, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
You can also include gluten free corn tortillas and gf taco shells in case anyone isn't in the mood for salad.
Taco Salad or Bowl Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Toppings and mixings:
- Sour cream
- GF corn chips or corn tortilla chips
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Heat oil or butter in a skillet. When butter is melted or oil is hot, add onions and cook until transculent.
- Add beef and brown, stirring to break up clumps. Drain.
- Return to heat and add seasonings. Stir to blend well.
- Add tomato paste and water. Stir to blend well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat.
- Simmer 30 minutes, checking occasionally. If mixture looks too dry, add a small amount of water.
- Prepare optional ingredients: make or reheat rice, wash and chop lettuce, chop tomatoes, make guacamole, heat up beans and corn.
- Place optional ingredients into bowls or serving dishes. Each person can assemble the salad or bowl to his or her liking.