Easy Steak Fajita Salad Recipe
Back when we first got married, my husband did most of the cooking. That’s because I didn’t know how to cook and we had to eat. Personally, I could have survived off fast food back then, but my new hubby wasn’t having it. So, he cooked and then he taught me to cook.Silly me, I was an eager student, happy to impress my Egyptian husband with my interest in his foods. And now I cook… and he very rarely cooks. But when he does cook, he does a great job. His specialties are stuffed grape leaves, mushroom Swiss burgers, and steak fajitas. Since we’ve gone gluten free, we rarely have fajitas. I haven’t mastered gf flour tortillas and the store-bought ones we’ve tried are dry and brittle. So, now we eat fajita salads instead. They’re quite tasty!
Steak Fajita Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs flank steak
- Bottle of gf Italian dressing (I used Kraft Zesty Italian)
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salad toppings of your choice:
- Sour cream
- Onions, sauteed
- Bell peppers, sauteed
- Mushrooms, sauteed
- GF salad dressing
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- Pour salad dressing in a large baking dish. Squeeze juice of one lime into the dressing and add the onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne (if using). Use a fork to stir well.
- Pierce flank steak multiple times on both sides with a fork. Place it in the salad dressing mix. Flip the steak to make sure it’s completely covered by marinade. Cover the dish and marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, heat your grill. Cook flank steak 6 to 7 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
- Remove from heat, cover with foil, and allow the meat to rest about 10 minutes before slicing it thinly at a diagonal.
- While meat is resting, prepare other salad ingredients. For a more authentic fajita taste, saute the mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions and then toss with the sliced steak.
- Mix the salad and serve with the steak on top, or set up a buffet and allow each person to make his or her own salad to taste.
What’s your favorite grilled recipe?